Prof. Ashok B ChakrabortyProfessor
An experienced Sustainable development, CSR & HSE Management professional specialising in:
- Capability building, talent management and performance assessment
- Change management, culture building and employee engagement
- Organization design and development
- Partnering with business teams in aligning strategies and services wrt National & Global imperatives
(Former) Chief Sustainability Officer & Head, Centre of excellence of Sustainable Development, Indian Institute of Corporate affairs (Autonomous institution of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs)
(Former) Executive Director, Oil & Natural gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC), held key positions of Chief Carbon Management & Sustainability Group, Chief Corporate Social Responsibility and Chief, Health Safety Environment- Corporate, ONGC
- M.Tech (Production Engineering), in 1982 from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- MAM (Master in Administrative Management), in 1997 from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Mgt Studies, Mumbai.
- PG Diploma in Environment Management, in 1999 from Central University, Hyderabad, AP.
- PG Diploma in Environmental Economics, in 2001 from Central University, Hyderabad, AP.
- MSc (Environmental Science), in 2004 from Kakatiya University, Warangal, AP.
- PG course in Industrial Management, in 1979 from MS University, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- International Diploma in Safety Management, in 1983 fromBritish Safety Council, London, UK.
- BE (Mechanical) REC Suratkal, in 1974 from National Institute of Technology, Karnataka.
- Senior Mgt Prog,1yr (3 modules incl US), in 2005 from Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
- Fellow, Institute of Engineers (India)
- Corporate Engineer (India)
- Fellow, National Institute of Personnel Management (India)
- Member- Society of Petroleum Engineers, USA
- Member- Association of British Scholars
- Professor - Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur since Dec 31, 2018
- Chief Sustainability Officer & Head CESD,IICA (MCA) From Nov 2013 to Oct 2018
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Executive Director- Chief CM&SG, Jun 2005 to Oct 2013
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Executive Director- Chief CSR, Apr 2009 to Dec 2010
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) GGM, Head, Institute of Petroleum Safety, Health & Environment Management (IPSHEM), GOA, Apr 2004 to June 2005
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) GM, Head Corporate, Health, Safety & Environment Management Apr 2003 to June 2004
- Other multiple assignments at ONGC different locations from 02.06.1975 to 31.3.2003
As Group General Manager, was the Head of ONGC institution: Institute of Petroleum Safety, Health & Environment Management (IPSHEM) GOA, during April 2004- July 2005
As Head of the institute, Planned, spearheaded activities as under:
HSE Human Resource Development, guiding, leading teams & HSE business development, designing publicity awareness materials, Management of Strategic relations with statutory & local authorities and media, Implementation of environment protection measures, cost effective economy measures in HSE Programs, Knowledge dissemination, development of R&D facilities & model centers, yearly offshore environmental monitoring, firefighting systems, training modules & their certification.
Key Achievements: Developed sea survival trainings & commissioned training Ship ‘Samudra Siksha’, Introduced program through British Safety Council London. As part of Corporate Strategy, designed publicity awareness materials, Contributed to the development of “survival at sea training”
Research & Publications
Nine international publications/presentation Viz: SPE 56492, SPE 61004, SPE 61015, SPE 73833, SPE 86744, SPE 110239, SPE 156691, Petrotech2001, Rio Oil and Gas in Sept 2012.
Four national publications: Rites journal Jan2014, Jan2016 & Jan 2018 and School of Sustainability, XUB Sustainability Summit Oct 2016 at Bhubaneshwar.
Undertaken 3 research studies in the area of Sustainability Strategy, Practices & Reporting during 2014.
- Developed DPE Sustainable development guidelines for CPSE’s in 2010
- Prepared report on setting up IPSHEM-1992.
- ONGC’s first recommended code of practice (HSE – 1985).
- Draft - Offshore Safety legislation for India (1985)
- Safety & Environment Policies in1981 & 1983 and integrated HSE policy on 20.09.03
- Bio-Remediation project: Specialized technique used OiliVorous-S bacteria, at pilot sites
- Draft - Oil Mines Regulations of India (1996)
- Project I/C ADB projects, SMS- ISRS project implementation & Awareness Programs (1994-97).
- Policy & strategy for abandonment of offshore structures: Task related to laws and Regulations, Environmental, Safety & other related aspects of abandonment, completed. Policy on construction safety: For engineering & construction contractors
- Policy on loss mitigation program - 2001.
- Safety Guidelines and Optimization study for OSV & MSV’s, ISM Code implementation
- Code of Practices for diving operations (Safety, Health & Environment).
- Developed Industry Standards under the aegis of OISD: Guidelines for replacement of life saving and personal protective safety items(184P), Combined operations (186), Medical Requirements, Emergency Evacuation and Facilities (STD 204) and Formulation of Environment Management Plan for drilling operations (GDN 207)
- Initiated implementation of ISRS, ISO 14001, ISO 9000 & OHSAS 18000
- Comprehensive EIA completed during 1993 for entire western offshore area
- Cost benefit analysis of riser guards
- Preparation of HSE and Sustainable Management Plans
- Review study of Operator’s HSE compliance
Awards, Recognitions & Honours:
Received many awards, recognitions, honours in my career spanning over 4 decades. Some of these were:
SPE (middle east) Regional HSE award during 2009 at Abu Dhabi
US EPA International Partner of the year award during 2010 at New orleans, USA
SPE distinguished lecturer:
As SPE Global distinguished lecturer, lectured in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia & Russia in 2010-11
Nominated director on the board:
Was ONGC nominated director on the board of “Oil Spill Response Ltd” Southampton, (UK) during 2001-04
Member Governing council:
Member Governing Council “UN Global Compact Network India (GCNI)” during 2015-17
Member GCNI Centre of excellence for Governance, Ethics & Transparency (CEGET) during 2015-17
Currently part of the expert group of IGNOU to design Post Graduate Diploma in CSR
Was Member TERI - Corporate roundtable on Sustainable development.
Was Member of the OISD steering committee on formulation of new standards & Principal Panellist of OISD from 2001-05
Served 10 years in Territorial Army as commissioned officer (TA 41966) from 1985- 95, passed part B exam