Dr. K. NilakantanProfessor, Area Chairperson (Operations and Quantitative Methods), Associate Dean (Research & PhD Committee)
: +91-712-2805128 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Kannan Nilakantan holds a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Madras, a a Ph.D. from IISC Banglore and a Master’s in Mathematics from University of South Florida, wherein he was also inducted to the Phi-Kappa-Phi Honours Society of the U.S.A. He was formerly with NITIE Mumbai for a large part of his academic career. He has published several papers in international journals like Applied Mathematical Modelling, Engineering Intelligent Systems, IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, IJOQM, IJSS, IJCSM, IJAMS, JMM, IJBSR, IJBPSCM, IJLSM, IJEME, JORS, AMS etc. His research interests are in the application of Dynamic Optimization in industrial and business systems.
- Ph.D. (Management Studies) in 1991 from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- M.S. (Mathematics), in 1993 from University of South Florida, USA.
- B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) in 1976 from Indian Institute of Technology, Madra
Work Experience : 30 years (Academics - 21 yrs + Industry - 09 yrs)
- Professor - Operations, Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur since Nov 2005.
- Associate Professor - Operations Research and Mathematical Modelling, N.I.T.IE. (1995 -2005)
- Assistant Professor - (Operations Management), Institute of Rural Management, Anand (1994 -1995).
- Mathematics Instructor - Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of South Florida, U.S.A (1991-1994).
- Faculty Member - Dept of Management Studies, BITS, Pilani (1986 -1987).
- Teachnical Consulting Officer - Corporation Bank (1983 -1986).
- Technical Services Engineer-Indianoil Corprn (1977 -1983).
Area of Interests
- Operations Management, Optimal Control Application, Dynamic Modelling.
- Evaluation of Staffing Policies in Markov Manpower Systems and their Extension to Organizations with Outsource Personnel, Journal of the Operational Research Society (UK), Published, Aug2015, Vol 66-8, pp1324-1340.
- Warehouse Control Systems for General Forms of Demand, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, INFOMS, USA, Published, Vol 20-4, pp 273-299,Dec 2014.
- A Planning Model at a Broad Level incorporating the Effect of Technology Selection Decisions, International Journal of Engineering and Management Economy, Inderscience Publishers, (U.S.A.), Published, Vol 4-3/4, pp 291-315, 2014.(with D S Hegde)
- Supply Chains under Demands with Trend Components, and Robust Controls, Annals of Management Science, . USA, Published, International Centre for Business and Management Excellence, Franklin, Tennessee, USA.Vol 3-2, Dec 2014, pp 27-64.
- Estimation of Career Progression and Growth Properties in Markov Manpower Systems with a Competitive Climate, International Journal of Business and Systems Research, Published, 2013, Inderscience, USA, Vol 7-3, pp 292-316.
- Replenishment Policies for Warehouse Systems under Cyclic demand, International Journal of Business Performance and Supply Chain Modelling, Published, 2013, Inderscience, USA, Vol 5-2, pp 148-176.
- Supply Chains subject to Demand Shocks, International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Inderscience, USA, Published, 2015, Vol 21-2, pp133-159.
- Determination of Recruitment Age in Proportionality Markov Manpower Systems, International Journal of Applied Management Science, (U.K.) Published, (2011) , Vol 3-1, p 72-96
- Enhancing Supply Chain performance with improved Order-control Policies, International Journal of System Science (USA), Published, Sep2010, Vol 41-9, p 1099-1113, Taylor and Francis, USA.
- 'A Proportionality Model of Markov Manpower Systems', Journal of Modelling in Management , Published (2011), Vol 6 -1, pp 100-122, Emerald Publishing (UK). (jointly with Dr. Jayaram K. Sankaran and Dr. B. G. Raghavendra).
- Premiere Industries (A case in the Operations Area (Multi-stage Systems)), International Journal of Case Studies in Management, HEC-Montreal, Canada, Published, Dec2009 ( with R Gupta, A Kale)
- Length of service and Age Distributions in Proportionality Markov Manpower Systems, IMA Jl. of Management Mathematics (U.K.), Published June2008, vol 19-1, pp 245-268 (with B. G. Raghavendra )
- Optimal Marketing Strategies under varying Market Scenarios, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management( U.S.A.), Published December 2006, Vol 12-4, pp 1-18,(with Arunav Thripathi).
- A Systems Approach to Electrical Energy Management in an Industrial Estate, International Journal of Engineering Intelligent Systems in Electrical Engineering and Communications, CRL Publishing (UK.), Published 2005, Vol 13-1, pp3-8, (with S.S.Inamdar, DS Hegde)
- Control Aspects in a Proportionality Model of Makov Manpower Systems, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Published (2005) Vol 29-1, pp 85-115, Butterworth Publ., (UK),(with B.G.Raghavendra)
- Implications of Emerging Technologies on Econometric Modelling - The case of Production Functions, Published Feb. 2004 , "Econometric Modelling", Allied Publishers, India, (with D. S. Hegde).
- An Optimal Control Approach to Production-inventory Systems, National Conference on Agricultural Management Systems, National Academy for Agricultural Research & Management, Hyderabad, Dec. 2000.
- 'Length of Service Distributions in Proportionality Models of Markov Manpower Systems', presented at IIM Ahmedabad, National Conference on 'Stochastic Models in Management Science', IIM Ahmedabad, Jan. 1990.
- 'A Proportionality Model of Markov Manpower Systems' presented at the Operations Research Society of India, International Conference on 'O.R. in Industries', IIT Kharagpur, December, 1989.
- A Control Model for Production Systems', International Conference on System Dynamics, IIT Kharagpur, Dec. 1998.
- 'Production-Inventory Management - A System-Dynamic Approach', International Conference on Operations Management, IIM B'lore, Dec. 1998.